Follow Us @jadephotographs

October 27, 2011

Savor: Mindful Eating, Mindful Life

I am reading this interesting book called: 

 
Savor: Mindful Eating, Mindful Life by Thich Nhat Hanh & Dr. Lilian Cheung.

It's interesting because it looks at weight loss as a way of being mindful. But I really like how it isn't just about weight loss. Being mindful can help us in so many other areas of our lives. 
"How can we stop this state of turmoil? How can we stop our fear, our despair, our anger, and our cravings? We have to learn to become solid and stable like an oak tree, and not be blown side to side by the emotional storm. We have to learn the art of stopping–stopping our running so that we can be present for and embrace our habit energies of worry, blame, guilt and fear, and calm the emotions that dictate us. We have to learn to live fully in the present moment…We have to learn to be mindful.
When we are mindful, touching deeply in the present moment, in the here and now, we gain more understanding, acceptance more forgiveness and love of self and others; our aspiration to relieve suffering grows; and we have more chances to touch joy and peace."

I think all too many times I get so busy running around trying to do everything I can possibly do in one day and I don't know how to stop and be mindful of what it is I am doing. I need to stop and take note of what it is I am doing and why. I need to look at what it is I really want to be doing and what steps am I taking to get there. I need to be mindful of the things the Lord has given me, my talents & abilities. I need to stop and look at the world around me and focus on each step I take. I need to breathe in and out. And enjoy each moment of each day.

No comments: